Factory automation is creating and applying technology to monitor and control products and services’ production and delivery. The factory automation controlling system intends to decrease laborious and dangerous work faced by human workers.
Automation is the process and application of technology to monitor and control products and services’ production and delivery. The automation managing process uses various control systems for operating components such as machinery, factories, boilers, conveyor belts, and other controlling fields.
PLC is a factory automation digital computer control system that continuously considers the state of input points and makes decisions based upon a PLC program to control output devices. Another advantage of a Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) is its modular programmable logic controller. The four fundamental components of PLC operation such as
- Input points detect the state of input devices connected to the PLC.
- Output points operate all output devices connected to the PLC.
- CPU cards
- Power supply
PLC controlling system is used in many factories to monitor and control production processes and building systems. Once programmed, the Programmable Logic Controller will perform a sequence of events triggered by inspiration referred to as input points.
PLC receives these signals through delayed actions such as counted occurrences or time delays. Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) controlling system is a software and hardware element that allows industrial automation controlling to monitor, gather information, and real-time process the output data.
HMI Controlling System
A Human Machine Interface (HMI) is an industrial automation user interface that connects to a machine. The Human Machine Interface HMI controlling system is most commonly used in an industrial automation process.
Human Machine Interface (HMI) is the principal point of contact between the user and output points. Human Machine Interface (HMI) System does more than just present control functions and information.
It provides an operator with active functions to perform, feedback on those actions’ results, and information on the system’s performance. Suppose PLCs A, B, and C each have an Ethernet port but uses different communication protocols such as Modbus TCP or IP, Ethernet or IP, and Profinet. In that case, the HMI can communicate with all three on the same network. The HMI linking the different Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) may be embedded with Human Machine Interface (HMI).
Variable Frequency Drive (VFD)
A Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) is used for AC motor speed and torque control purposes by changing motor input frequency and voltage. A variable frequency drive controls an AC motor’s speed by varying the frequency supplied to the engine.
Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) evaluates the frequency of their output by discrete the incoming Alternating Current to Direct Current and then using voltage pulse width modulation to produce pure alternating current and voltage output waveform. There are three main types of Variable Frequency Drive such as
- VSI type VFDs. VSI is a Voltage Source Inverter. It is the most common type of variable frequency drives.
- CSI type VFDs. CSI is a Current Source Inverter
- PWM type VFD. Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) is an improved and modified version of VSI type Variable Frequency Drive.
Programmable Logic Controller (PLC), Human Machine Interface (HMI), and Inverter or VFD or Variable Frequency Inverter (VFI) are widely used for factory automation controlling system. Sometimes Modbus communication system is used as factory automation. Modbus communication system is the combination of PLC and HMI.
Advantages of Automation
The industrial automation system is done due to higher production rates, increased productivity, efficient use of materials, reliable service, longer life of the machine, etc. The main advantages of automation such as
- Increased through output or productivity.
- Improved quality or increased predictability of quality.
- Improved robustness (consistency) of processes or products.
- Increased production of production.
- Reduced labor costs and expenses reliable services.
- This controlling method is often employed to improve productivity, quality, or robustness.
- Install factory automation controlling in operations to reduce cycle time.
- Install an automatic controlling system where a high degree of accuracy is required.
- Replacing human operators in tasks that engage hard physical work
- Replacing humans in studies done in dangerous environments
- Economic improvement industrial automation controlling system may improve the economy of enterprises, society, or most of humanity.
- Reduces operation time
Disadvantages of Automation
Everything has merits and demerits industrial automation or factory automation has disadvantages. The disadvantages of automation controlling the automation system are given below.
- Expensive tools and developers automated testing tools are costly, and the price of automated QA engineers is higher than manual
- Develop an automation process takes some time to write software tests.
- You can never test a product like a real user
- It is not easy to try the UI and UX product
Modbus Communication system
Modbus communication system is a data communication protocol system. Modbus communication protocol is always used with Programmable Logic Controller (PLC). Modbus is a factory standard communication protocol, and this communication system is widely used in factory automation controlling system.
ASCII carries the meaning of the American Standard Code of Information Interchange, and Remote Terminal Unit (RTU) is a master-slave communication protocol of the Modbus communication. This protocol can support up to 247 slaves connected in a bus network.
The protocol uses a simplex connection on single line communication. A Modbus master sends a message, and depending on the sending news, the Modbus slave interprets the message and responds to it. Physical slave addressing in the message header defines which slave device will be answered for the sending message.
Modbus communication system is used in multiple client-server applications to monitor and program for the output devices to communicate between output devices and sensors to monitor field devices using Programmable Logic Controller and Human Machine Interface. Modbus is also an ideal protocol for remote terminal unit applications where wireless communication is required.
PLC is the programmable logic controller. The PLC is also commonly used in controlling applications such as washing machines and controlling traffic signals and elevators. Human Machine Interface (HMI) systems allow the controls that provide a user to operate a machine or instrument. When done well, they create easy, reliable accessibility and make technology simple and effective.
Variable Frequency Drive (VFD). Speed controlling is used for controlling the speed of an AC motor. They are also used for ramping up an engine for a smooth startup. Bangladesh Automation Technologies is working satisfactorily on factory automation controlling system. We have very skilled automation engineers who are always engaging with this profession, so we are the best in the controlling automation system.